- At first, every chapter was going to be named either 'Silence' or 'Shadow' depending on the narrator, as they were going to co-narrate but I decided to drop that and give the story one mysterious narrator
- Even though it is the sequal to Flakes of Pepper, I have had the idea since before I wrote Flakes of Pepper
- Silence was going to be the younger sister and Shadow the older, but I changed because I thought the other way worked better for their personalities
- It takes place four moons after Pepper joins RockClan
- Silence & Shadow is lightly based off the poem Fire and Ice by Robert Frost:
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what iv'e tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice,
I think if know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice
Shadow, passionate and argumentative is fire; Silence, spiteful and reserved is ice; the narrator of our story, at first agreeing with Shadow but after a while dropping opinions on the matter, represents the narrator of the poem.